Beta blockers are a commonly prescribed group of drugs used to treat heart disease, hypertension, migraines, etc. It is important for patients to be compliant taking these or any medications. New information has emerged about patient drug compliance, which indicates many patients do not take their prescribed drugs as ordered.
- In the United States, approximately 3.8 billion prescriptions are written every year, yet over 50% of them are taken incorrectly or not at all.
- In a survey of 1000 patients, nearly 75% admitted to not always taking their medications as directed.
- Even among chronically ill patients who regularly fill their prescriptions, only about half the doses taken are taken as their health care providers prescribe.
- Source: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/818850?src=wnl_edit_specol&uac=52832SG (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- atenolol (Tenormin)
- Write the primary patient teaching point you will make (atenolol)
- Write the couple of sentences to convince the patient to be compliant with their drug regime.