Primary Discussion Response is due by Friday (11:59:59pm Central), Peer Responses are due by Tuesday (11:59:59pm Central).
Primary Task Response: Within the Discussion Board area, write 300–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
This week will focus on stereotypes in the media. Complete the following:
- First, define stereotype. Then, lead this definition into an analysis of stereotypes that are shown in the media by selecting 1 of the following, and look for instances of stereotyping (e.g., gender, class, race, ethnicity):
- 2 TV shows OR
- 2 advertisements OR
- 2 movies
- Describe why the medium you chose portrays a stereotype. Be specific in your answer.
- Cite 2–3 examples of the stereotypical behavior that you found, and tie these examples back to sociology by discussing how these examples help or hurt social views and stereotypes.
Responses to Other Students: Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with at least a 100-word reply about their Primary Task Response. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- What additional questions do you have after reading the posting?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
- What differences or similarities do you see between your posting and other classmates’ postings?
For assistance with your assignment, please use your text, Web resources, and all course materials.