Examination 1-4 .
DAR H213 Chapters 1 ? 4 Examination
Professor: Michael Norton, LCSW, LADC
Due: In class on Saturday October 4, 2014
Instructions: Please use a word processor to complete this exam. If you do not have access to a computer, ensure that handwriting is legible, so that I can give you
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
full credit for ALL your responses. As we discussed in class, I am expecting full and complete answers to the essay questions and credit will be awarded for
organization of thought process and concise, intelligible essays.
1) As we approach aIDiction counseling, it is important, as clinicians, that we have as clear an understanding as possible of who we are both personally and
professionally. We need to be brave enough to examine our own thought processes and be mindful at all times of how our opinions impact on how we will work with
individuals with substance abuse, mental and behavioral disorders.
To that end:
Discuss the three main influences on the aIDiction counseling field in the last fifty years and include YOUR OPINION on each of these influences. Describe how
YOU propose to function effectively in the system to the best interest of your clients.
2) Chapter 1 of the Miller text outlines SIX theories of aIDiction that have historically been popular to describe the cause of aIDictive disorders and their treatment
considerations. List the theories and describe the basic tenets of each theory and include YOUR OPINION as to the validity of those tenets and YOUR INSIGHTS
as to their applicability and effectiveness in providing successful aIDiction treatment outcomes.
3) In Chapter 2, Miller outlines the 8 most popular general counseling theories and their applications in the aIDiction counseling field. Describe YOUR
INTERPRETATION of the ONE counseling theory that you find most closely correlates to your beliefs as a counselor and WHY. Include in your description your
reasons why you think that theoretical framework fits your belief system best.
4) AIDiction assessments can be overwhelming for the counselor because of both the complexity of a client?s history and the client?s tendency to deny or minimize
issues that may be relevant . During the next week, using the biopsychosocial questionnaire available on Blackboard, interview a friend, family member, coworker or
classmate in a mock ?client? assessment session.
Describe the process that you used, including tools or techniques (see OARS+C in Chapter 9) you used to ensure the accuracy, thoroughness and validity of the
information you collected. Also note how your interviewing style began the process of creating a positive therapeutic alliance that would enhance the therapeutic
process with this ?client? . After completion of the assessment interview, ask the ?client? about his/her experience during the interview and include those
impressions in your essay.
5) Describe the historical struggles between the mental health and substance abuse counseling fields and include a description of YOUR THOUGHTS on how YOU
will function with mental health clinicians as a team to serve the best interests of the clients that present to you for help.
6) Discuss the concepts of behavioral aIDiction and list at least three of the most prevalent behavioral aIDictions and describe the signs, symptoms and treatment
considerations for each.
7) List and describe the 6 stages of change and include an example of a person you know (or make one up) who exhibits characteristics and beliefs that justify the
stage of change designation you assigned.