For this assessment, you will write a 6–8-page paper in three parts that researches and addresses three different legal issues.
This assessment contains three parts that address three different legal issues. Compile the parts into one paper for submission.
Legal Issue 1: Health Care Quality Improvement ACT (HQIA)
Read Title IV—Health Care Quality Improvement Act (HCQIA) of 1986 on the Social Security Administration Web site, linked in the Required Resources under the Internet Resources heading. In addition, research how the HCQIA applies to physician credentialing. Then, complete the following:
- Summarize effects of the HCQIA on exclusion of medical staff privileges.
- Include a short list of Web sites and resources (in APA format) you discovered in your research.
Note: You may also want to read about the national data bank reporting and explain how it fits into the law.
Legal Issue 2: Synopsis of General Staff Law Review
Research laws that pertain to general staff and labor relations from federal legislation decisions to local court decisions. Then, complete the following:
- Summarize your findings of laws that pertain to general staff and labor relations.
- Analyze laws that govern general staff and labor relations issues, and how they may be in conflict, from the perspective of a health care administrator.
- Identify how these laws may be in conflict from the perspective of a patient.
- Include a list of Web sites (in APA format) and resources you used to obtain this information.
Legal Issue 3: HIPAA
Search the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ Health Information Privacy Web site (linked in the Required Resources under the Internet Resources heading) for the requirements of the controversial Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) legislation. You are encouraged to download and print the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
In addition, research how and why it took nearly seven years to finally mandate compliance with HIPAA regulations.
Health care providers typically cringe when HIPAA is mentioned; however, your reading will show how and why there is legal constraint on behaviors. Complete the following:
- Develop a synopsis of how the time to HIPPA compliance may have affected patients, providers, third-party payers, and administrators. Include a listing of the Web sites and resources you accessed.
- Create a summary offering advice for how to implement a mandate in less than seven years from the perspective of a health care manager.
- Develop a short plan for implementing a mandate that addresses the political, legal, or social constraints you noticed in the long process for mandating HIPPAA regulations.
- You may suggest a plan for implementing a general mandate or a specific one you have in mind. (You can make up a story or use a real-life situation you are familiar with.)
- Include some details such as where you would obtain financing and how might you meet compliance standards and obtain qualified staff.
- Length: 6–8 pages, typed and double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 point (length excludes title page and reference list).
- References: Cite at least nine references. Your references may include both scholarly literature and practitioner sources.
- Written communication: Must be free of errors, scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the profession of psychology.
- Writing style: APA expectations for scholarly writing include the use of third-person narrative, unless it is awkward to do so.
- APA formatting: Must be formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting and include a title page, abstract, table of contents, and reference list.