Part 1 discussion questions(120 words for each one)
1.The growth of E-Commerce has brought about a whole new shopping experience. It is easy to see that shopping online is different from shopping at a traditional “brick and mortar” store. But how is it different? What are companies doing to make the shopping experience similar and/or different?
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Pick two retail sites on the Web that have famous “real world” counterparts. Examples:
- Abercrombie & Fitch [http://www.abercrombie.com/]
- Barnes and Noble [http://www.barnesandnoble.com/]
- Best Buy [http://www.bestbuy.com]
- CVS Pharmacy [http://www.cvs.com]
- Eddie Bauer [http://www.eddiebauer.com]
- The Gap Online [http://www.gap.com]
- JCPenny [http://www.jcp.com]
- Macy’s [http://www.macys.com]
- Moe’s Southwest Grill [http://www.moes.com]
- Nordstrom [http://shop.nordstrom.com]
- Staples [http://www.staples.com]
- Sears [http://www.sears.com]
- Target Stores [http://www.target.com]
- Toys R Us [http://www.toysrus.com]
- Victoria’s Secret [http://www.victoriassecret.com]
- Wal-Mart [http://www.walmart.com]
Compare shopping at the virtual retailer to the physical version. What about the shopping experience is similar? What is different? Which to you prefer, why?
2.One very important decision that marketers need to make is which channel of distribution to use for its products or services. Four primary considerations need to be analyzed before making the distribution choice:
- Distribution coverage required
- Degree of control desired
- Total distribution cost
- Channel flexibility
Discuss the implications of using the Internet on these four considerations. To help analyze the possible implications of the Internet on these elements, visit the following sites and consider how they distribute their products differently than traditional manufacturers.
- Dell Computers [http://www.dell.com]
- Gateway Computers [http://www.gateway.com]
- Peapod Groceries [http://www.peapod.com]
- Amazon.com [http://www.amazon.com/]
Also visit these sites and think about the role that they play in the new breed of channel intermediaries.
- Federal Express (FedEx) [http://www.fedex.com]
- United Parcel Service (UPS) [http://www.ups.com/us]
- YRC Shipping [http://www.yrc.com/]
- Yahoo.com [http://www.yahoo.com]
- Volusion [http://www.volusion.com/]
Part 2 Assignment
Read Case Study 7 – Starbucks and answer the 7 questions that follow (pages 319 – 320)
Please use this strategy when you analyze a case:
- Identify and write the main issues found discussed in the case (who, what, how, where and when (the critical facts in a case).
- List all indicators (including stated “problems”) that something is not as expected or as desired.
- Briefly analyze the issue with theories found in your textbook or other academic materials. Decide which ideas, models, and theories seem useful. Apply these conceptual tools to the situation. As new information is revealed, cycle back to sub steps a and b.
- Identify the areas that need improvement (use theories from your textbook)
- Specify and prioritize the criteria used to choose action alternatives.
- Discover or invent feasible action alternatives.
- Examine the probable consequences of action alternatives.
- Select a course of action.
- Design and implementation plan/schedule.
- Create a plan for assessing the action to be implemented.
- Conclusion (every paper should end with a strong conclusion or summary)