Chemicals of Concern in the Environment
As scientists and engineers work to produce products that make people’s lives easier and safer, there is the possibility that these new products could have negative consequences on individuals and the environment. Select 1 of the chemicals listed below, and discuss its role in improving lives as well as the potential unintended consequences that it may have. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Chemicals of Concern (Select 1)
- Regulated by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA):
- Brominated flame retardants: These are added to plastics and fabrics to make them more flame-resistant.
- Cadmium: This is an element that is known as a heavy metal. It is used in batteries, paints, and plastics.
- Regulated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA):
- Phthalates: These are chemicals that are added to plastics to make them more flexible.
- Bisphenol-A (BPA): This is a chemical that is added to plastics to harden them while keeping them light.
Discuss the following for this assignment:
- What role does the chemical you selected play in the modern world?
- What are some possible detrimental health effects that are associated with this chemical?
- Explain the position of the FDA or EPA regarding your selected chemical. What is the position of your state government regarding your selected chemical?
- Do you feel that your chemical should be more tightly regulated in the United States? Why or why not?
- Would label requirements be enough? Explain why or why not
Unit 4 – Individual Project
For this assignment, you will use what you have learned throughout this unit to complete this worksheet. Reply to all of the questions, and then submit the completed worksheet to be graded.