The retail store has informed you that no documentation of the current network exists. There are numerous types of data communications that occur in a retail company, and the employees are willing to explain to you what information they work with and the steps that are involved to process the daily business transaction paperwork.
Assume that the retail store is currently using open systems interconnection (OSI) and transmission control protocol/Internet protocol (TCP/IP) in a dual-stacked environment. This has proven to be memory-intensive and has caused an inability for application internetworking to occur.
Examples are provided here to help with this assignment.
Network Reference Model (OSI vs. TCP/IP) Comparison (4–5 pages)
The project deliverables for this week are as follows:
- Create a network reference model diagram of the current network that describes the role of each layer for both OSI and TCP/IP that are used to transmit data between the devices and applications specifically in your retail store.
- Create a revised network reference model diagram of the proposed network solution (using OSI or TCP/IP) that describes the hardware and software that are used to transmit data between the devices and applications in your retail stores.
- Based on the current dual-stacked network environment, create a data flow diagram for both OSI and TCP/IP that shows at least 4 typical network connections that are made by users in your retail store. Show how the data and information flow from the user workstation to the application using both the OSI and TCP/IP network models and the impact of encapsulation.
- Create a revised data flow diagram based on the proposed network solution that shows at least 4 typical network connections that are made by users in your retail store. Show how the data and information flow from the user workstation to the application using the chosen network model (using OSI or TCP/IP) and the impact of encapsulation.
- Provide an analysis as to how this part of the project fulfills the mission and 1 or more goals of the case study organization.
- Note: Use Microsoft Visio or equivalent to create the network reference model (current and revised) and data flow (current and revised) diagrams. You will embed the diagrams in the Word document and also provide them as attachments. See your Web resources for additional diagramming tools.
- All sources should be cited both in-text and in References using APA format.