From a sociological viewpoint, the analysis of health outcomes can be understood through a variety of social variables. Throughout this semester, we have covered several of these, including race, gender, and class in society. For sociologists, these variables can be correlated very strongly with longevity rates, propensities for certain types of disease, and overall rates of mortality. In this final essay, you will describe the key relationship between these social variables and health outcomes and also engage in your own research in which you will come up with one meaningful example of a health issue that is impacted by these variables. This paper will conclude with a discussion on how government interventions (organizations and agencies) are improving health outcomes.Â
Complete a 5 page final paper that satisfies the following three areas:
- Explain how sociologists view the relationship between the key social variables of a class, gender, race and health outcomes. For example, explain how social class can help us predict health-related outcomes. You would do the same for gender and race.Â Â
- Select an illness (e.g., Diabetes, Lupus, Heart Disease) whose health outcomes are clearly impacted by class, gender, and race (all three variables).Â Â
- First, describe the illness.Â
- Then explain how the three variables can have an impact on health outcomes in relation to the illness.Â Â
- For example, what can you tell me about the health outcomes of Asians (race) suffering from diabetes (illness)? 9% are at moderate risk for diabetes. Â Â
- Include at least 3 peer-reviewed journal articles (no more than five years old) to validate your arguments, thoughts, and opinions.Â
3. Explain how government interventions are improving health outcomes (the illness you selected) in terms of class, gender, and race (all three). Here, you want to identify government organizations/agencies in the U.S.Â that addresses the illness (one organization for each variable).Â
- For example, how is the Department of Health and Human Services – Office of Minority HealthÂ (organization) improving health outcomes for minorities (race) who are suffering from diabetes (illness)?
- Within the essay, be sure to include and apply at least 3 social concepts learned from the course material (other than class, gender, and race).Â Â
The assignment should include a title/cover page, abstract, body of the paper, and a references page. Note, the cover and reference page does not count toward the requirements. Â Â
The paper should be typed, double-spaced, 1â€ margins, times new roman 12 pt font, and saved as .doc.Â The paper should be in APA format (cover page, running header, major heading, subheadings to identify each section (e.g., Social Variables and Health Outcomes, Diabetes and Health Outcomes, Government Intervention), in-text citations, and reference list). You want to make sure most of the information presented in your essay is written in your own words and sources should be no more than five years old.